Home is where the heart is, and so many seniors’ hearts are set on remaining at home throughout aging, instead of making a move to an assisted living facility or nursing home – close to 90% of them, according to research done by AARP. And who can blame them? Feeling comfortable in familiar surroundings, having the independence to come and go as you desire, experiencing the freedom to choose whatever meals you want, and eat them whenever and wherever you want – these abilities are simply priceless.
But although it sounds ideal in theory, there are a number of concerns to be addressed as well:
- Will the senior be safe?
- How will he or she get around when driving, or even walking, becomes difficult?
- What happens if the senior becomes ill or injured and no one’s nearby to help?
Thankfully, it is possible for seniors to remain safe and well cared for at home, with a little thought and planning. These suggestions can assist you in taking the necessary precautions to ensure your senior loved one is prepared for these needs and any others, now and in the years to come:
- Assess the home, both inside and out, from the perspective of the senior’s safety. Check to make sure:
- Grab bars are in place near the bathtub and toilet.
- Throw rugs and other tripping hazards are removed.
- There’s plenty of lighting, including in hallways and stairways.
- Commonly used items are within easy reach.
- Emergency numbers are posted in a prominent location.
- Create a transportation plan, so it’s ready to implement when driving is no longer possible:
- Look into public transportation options that are available and easily accessible.
- Create a list of those the senior can rely on for help with transportation: friends, family members, neighbors, religious organizations, local senior centers, Hillendale Home Care, etc.
- Provide the senior with technology to use in an emergency to call for help when alone, such as a PERS (personal emergency response system).
Keep in mind, however, that the most reliable and effective way to keep seniors safe and well cared for at home is by partnering with a professional in-home care agency, such as Hillendale Home Care. Our caregivers are trained and have experience in providing expert care at home for seniors, including personal care services, transportation, meal preparation, and companionship, and are available for as much or as little care as needed.
Our first step is to create an individualized care plan to address the senior’s specific needs and wishes, and then we continuously monitor that plan and modify as needs change – ensuring that the senior remains safe and is able to live life to the fullest, where it’s most comfortable: right at home. Contact us to learn more about our care at home for seniors in Walnut Creek, CA at 925-933-8181.