For the past several months, family caregivers have had to face seemingly monumental challenges connected with the care of the seniors they love. With COVID-19’s particular dangers to seniors and those with underlying health conditions, such as COPD, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and others which can be common in seniors, those caring for aging parents have struggled with how to best protect and keep their older family members safe.
To that end, some families made the very difficult decision to temporarily stop home care services in order to prevent having anyone outside of the family come into the home – meaning the family members were suddenly responsible for full-time elder care. Without a care partner, this alone is often extremely stressful, but add to this the various other new responsibilities and concerns caused by the pandemic, such as shifting to working virtually, caring for children who could no longer attend school or daycare, and so much more.
To say it’s been an overwhelming time is an understatement. With numerous new safety protocols in place, will it be safe to once again bring in a professional in-home care agency in order to help?
Hillendale Home Care has continued to provide safe, trustworthy in-home care services for older adults throughout the pandemic, in accordance with all recommended guidelines. When you’re ready to look into caregiving options, keep these suggestions in mind:
- Work with an experienced home care company, like Hillendale Home Care, that has a well-thought-out COVID-19 plan in place – and ask for information regarding that plan.
- Plan to be present once the caregiver arrives the very first time to help relieve any worries you may possibly have, such as ensuring that he/she is wearing a face covering, washing hands often, sanitizing surfaces, etc.
- Consult with the older adult’s doctor about any concerning health issues and to get strategies for any extra safety precautions which should be taken during home care visits.
The care specialists at Hillendale Home Care, the top providers of respite care in Walnut Creek and the surrounding areas, are always here to answer any questions you might have and to share information regarding the steps we’re taking to protect the senior loved ones in our care, such as:
- Wearing face coverings along with other personal protective equipment as appropriate
- Properly sanitizing and disinfecting any items brought inside the seniors’ homes
- Making certain all care staff are healthy through routine temperature checks and wellness assessments
- Practicing safe social distancing protocol
- And more
Contact us at 925-933-8181 any time for more information about the many advantages of professional in-home care, and just how we can assist a senior you love live life to the fullest – safely and comfortably in the familiarity of home.