Hillendale Home Care Helps You Recognize the Warning Signs of Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease affects one in 100 people over the age of 60, and the U.S. sees around 60,000 new cases diagnosed each year, according to the Michael J. Fox Foundation. Because April is Parkinson’s Awareness Month, the senior care experts at Hillendale Home Care want to help raise awareness of the warning signs of this disease, as seeking help early is crucial.
A proper diagnosis for Parkinson’s disease requires a battery of tests to rule out other conditions that often mimic Parkinson’s symptoms. However, early diagnosis and treatment can help patients improve their overall condition and experience a higher quality of life in the long run.
The following are warning signs of Parkinson’s disease:
- Mild tremors – usually the symptom causing people to seek medical help.
- Difficulty getting out of a chair.
- Speaking too softly.
- Handwriting is slow and looks cramped or small.
- Losing track of a word or thought.
- Feeling tired, irritable or depressed for no apparent reason.
People who see the senior every day, friends, family members, or caregivers, may be the first to notice small changes that could indicate Parkinson’s, including:
- The person’s face lacks expression and animation (known as “masked face”).
- The person does not move an arm or leg normally.
- The person seems stiff, unsteady or unusually slow.
No single one of these signs means that your loved one has Parkinson’s. But if he or she has more than one symptom, make an appointment to talk to his or her doctor. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s, we can help. Hillendale Home Care, the leader in home care services in Berkeley and the surrounding areas, can provide assistance with meal planning and preparation, personal supervision and home safety services, assistance with physician approved exercise, transportation to and from appointments, respite care for family caregivers and much more. Contact us today to learn more about our in-home care services.