We don’t often think of the rug in the living room or the cord for the lamp as a hazard, but for older adults with limited mobility, small things like these can cause potentially dangerous falls. More than 90 percent of hip fractures occur as a result of falls in the home, with most of these fractures occurring in persons over 70 years of age.
Making some simple home modifications can help create a safer environment for seniors and help prevent dangerous falls. Here are some easy home modifications that can be done to reduce the risk of falls for the elderly.
- Replace bulbs regularly to make sure there is adequate illumination in the home
- Use nightlights or motion sensor lights for better visibility at night
- Reduce the amount of electrical cords running across large areas
- Install low pile carpet or skid-proof tile
- Remove rugs, or secure them with non-skid tape
- Use a contrast in color with paint, carpet and furniture to denote changes in surface types or levels
- Avoid using floor polish
- Install grab bars on walls around the tub and beside the toilet, strong enough to hold your weight
- Add nonskid mats or strips to bathtubs
- Mount liquid soap dispenser on the bathtub wall
- Install a portable, hand-held shower head
- Add a padded bath or shower seat
For more information on how to make a home safer for older adults, click here.
The senior care experts at Hillendale Home Care offer free in-home assessments to help create a safer environment for aging in place. If you have a loved one who could benefit from caregiving services in Concord CA and the surrounding area, contact the caregivers at Hillendale Home Care. We help seniors and their families with a wide variety of home care services.