Hillendale Home Care’s Tips to Help Seniors Avoid Diabetes Management Burnout
From beginning to end, a day in the life of someone with diabetes is overloaded with a range of tasks to manage the disease. Between medications, insulin injections, monitoring blood sugar levels, exercising, and dealing with nutritional needs, it’s common to become overwhelmed.
Hillendale Home Care’s California in-home elderly care professionals comprehend the difficulties and struggles of diabetes care management, and provide the following tips to help lessen stress and remain in optimal health:
- Remember, no one’s perfect. Effective diabetes care doesn’t require being perfect with care each and every day. Some days will simply be better than others and it’s important to be forgiving for an occasional glucose fluctuation and then learn from errors.
- Identify care obstacles. Barriers to diabetic care management could be:
- Needing more information/education on proper diabetic care
- Avoiding situations that could interfere with a care schedule
- Excuses to overcome regarding getting sufficient exercise
- Eating patterns that may be driven more by feelings than hunger
- Depression or other emotional concerns
- Be positive. Throughout everything, a positive mentality can go a very long way. Instead of thinking, “I’ll never be able to manage my diabetes—I might as well plan on having health problems,” try thinking, “I didn’t pay enough attention to my portion sizes at dinner; that is why my blood sugar is high. I need to think ahead and keep portion sizes in line with my meal plan or cover with extra insulin if I eat more than I meant to.”
- Accept help. Family members, friends and coworkers typically provide a great shoulder to lean on. Just advise them of what is helpful and what to watch for. In-home care is also a wonderful resource for diabetic care support and motivation.
For more recommendations on alleviating the burden of diabetes care management, call Hillendale Home Care, the top provider of respite care in Walnut Creek & surrounding areas, at 925-933-8181. Our caring and highly skilled elder care team is available to plan and prepare healthy and delicious meals, pick up prescription medications, provide transportation to doctors’ appointments, and much more. And we’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for your senior loved one according to his or her preferences and schedule. We look forward to helping make life easier and more enjoyable for you and the seniors you love!