The holiday season offers the wonderful opportunity for families to spend some quality time with their older loved ones. And, it’s also the perfect time to ensure that your senior loved one’s holiday is just as safe as it is celebratory. Regardless of whether the older person is enjoying the holiday season in her own home or yours, taking time to implement the safety tips below will help ensure that everyone’s holiday is as happy and bright as it should be.
Throughout the home:
- Use simple decorations while making sure not to add clutter. And never block any pathways in and between rooms, so there is plenty of room to walk.
- Keep extension cords up against walls and away from walking paths to avoid tripping hazards.
- Instead of using lighted candles, set out bright centerpieces of flowers or fruit, or opt for battery-powered candles.
While bright holiday lights are gorgeous, bear these tips in mind when seniors are nearby:
- Make sure that all areas of the home are always well lit. Soft holiday lighting can mask fall hazards and make it hard to see around furnishings in the home.
- Place a nightlight in both the bathroom and the bedroom the senior will be using and be sure that light switches are easily accessible.
With the addition of holiday decorations, falling risks are increased for seniors during the holidays, so be sure to:
- Keep the floors clutter-free.
- Keep sidewalks outside of the home clear.
- Arrange furniture so it’s easy to move around it.
- Place slip-free pads underneath rugs.
- Ensure active pets avoid roughhousing while the senior is moving about throughout the home.
- Designate a special out-of-the-way area for children to play with their new toys while the senior is visiting.
It’s crucial to pay close attention to the care needs of your senior loved ones during the holiday season in order to make their home, or yours, as safe and enjoyable as possible. If you would like more holiday safety tips, or information on our California home care services, contact Hillendale Home Care. Our Concord home health care team can create a customized care solution specific to your senior loved one’s needs, improving quality of life right in the comfort of home. Call us at 925-933-8181 to learn more. See our full service area here.