Home Care Services in Moraga CA: – Obesity in Seniors
Obesity is a problem at any age, a problem that has become all too rampant in the American society. Obesity by itself is a bad situation because of the difficulties in moving, and getting around but it’s also a major trigger in a plethora of other diseases and health problems. It can certainly lead to serious medical circumstances that is life threatening. Obesity in seniors is even more serious because of their age, and reduced mobility.
Alarming facts about obesity
- Most people aren’t even aware they are considered to be medically obese
- Obesity is a major threat to a healthy and long life
- Obesity increases the dangers of excess body fat on the person’s health
- Obesity is all too common – over 33% of all American adults are obese
- Obesity increases risks of stroke, heart disease and type 2 diabetes and cancer
- An obese child is more likely to be an obese adult
Strategies for combatting obesity
If your elderly loved one is obese or overweight, it’s probably really weighing down on your mind. Of course you want them alive and healthy as long as possible! So what are some things you can do to help your loved one realize their potential problem and start taking action towards a solution?
- Talk to them calmly and reassuringly. Let them know you sincerely care about their health and well-being and you are willing to do whatever it takes to help them on their quest to reach a healthy weight.
- Find out what they are willing to do to fight obesity and help themselves.
- Take them to their doctor, and find out what their health status is, and what he recommends for steps to take toward a healthier weight.
- Find community programs for seniors regarding exercise, weight control, diet modifications, etc. Sign up your loved one in the programs she shows an interest for.
How home care services can help in the fight against obesity
Your loved one’s home care provider can actually do a lot to help her in her struggles to reach and maintain a healthier body weight.
- Helping her make up a healthy meal plan for the week and then make sure the fridge and cupboards are stocked with healthy foods
- Encouraging her to keep on a regular exercise schedule by taking her to fitness classes, and participating with her to give her support
- Going on daily walks with her. Even if it’s only a few steps at first, then around the block and then a longer walk as she gets in better shape. Every little bit helps!
If you have a loved one who could benefit from home care services in Moraga CA, contact the caregivers at Hillendale Home Care. We help seniors and their families with many levels of home care service. Call (925) 948-8280 for more information.