Accepting the truth that an aging loved one requires help at home can be tough. Even harder is speaking about the need for care with the older adult and getting him or her to acknowledge that assistance is warranted. If you have noticed changes in a loved one and you’re sensing the need to begin a discussion about the benefits of home care as a choice to maintain safety and independence in the home, try these conversation starters to raise the subject in a subtle, non-confrontational way.
- If heightened frailty is becoming a concern:
- “I love you, Dad, and now that you live alone, I’m concerned about your safety. I know someone who can help us to make the house less dangerous and make it simpler for you to get around and stay independent. Can I have her come over to talk with us? It would really put my mind at ease.”
- If there is a threat of falling or mobility has diminished:
- “Since the time that you fell recently, I’ve been anxious about it happening again. I know someone who can come over and give us suggestions on how to make the house safer and keep falls from occurring. I’d love for us to sit down and talk with her and see what tips she has for us.”
- If diminishing personal hygiene has become a problem:
- “I’d love to have someone come a couple of times a week to assist you around the house. Let’s work together to find someone you’d feel comfortable with. We can work with an agency to find someone who shares similar interests as you so you’ll not only have some help from time to time, but also a good friend to enjoy time with.”
- When a senior can no longer safely drive:
- “I know that not being able to drive and get out as much has been difficult. If we hire a home care assistant for a few hours several times a week, you could get back to enjoying all the activities that you’ve been missing, like shopping, visiting friends, and running to the store.”
Keep in mind that, for many older adults, agreeing to accept help at home can feel like surrendering independence, and you may have to have several discussions before a solution is reached. At Hillendale Home Care, we’re here to partner with you to help make life not only safer, but more pleasant and fulfilling as well. Give our Walnut Creek home care experts a call today at 925-933-8181 or fill out our online contact form to learn more about how our top-rated home care services can help your family.