Living Your Best Life at Home with Multiple Sclerosis
Home is a place of comfort and sanctuary, or at least it should be. However, for people living with multiple sclerosis, or MS, the home can present new challenges never before noticed. If you or your loved one has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, a key first step to maintaining a safe and comfortable home environment should be to make some necessary home modifications.
Multiple sclerosis and the fatigue it causes can create unique challenges when it comes to navigating the home. It’s important to make changes to the home that can help conserve energy and enhance independence.
Some modifications could include:
- Replacing thick carpet with smooth, nonslip flooring for easier mobility
- Installing grab bars in the bathroom, particularly near the tub and toilet
- Moving furniture to create wider walking paths throughout the home
- Installing a handheld showerhead, slip resistant bath mat and a tub seat in the bathroom
- Installing a bed rail to aid with sitting up and changing sleeping positions
- Replacing door knobs throughout the home with lever handles, which are often easier for people with weakened muscles to use
Hillendale Home Care in Walnut Creek has highly trained caregivers who can offer home modification guidelines and help in scheduling customizations to make sure the home is safe, comfortable, and attuned for optimum independence. We also offer a wide array of home care services that can enhance life and promote independence for individuals with MS, including:
- Meal preparation
- Light housekeeping, laundry, and meal preparation
- Assistance with organization around the home
- And much more
For more information about our home care Walnut Creek services or to schedule a free in-home assessment, contact our team today at 925-933-8181 or www.hillendale.net.