Do you have an aging loved one resisting the truth that he/she is in need of some extra help at home? One of the biggest reservations we have as we get older is the loss of control and the ability to live at home alone. Because of this fear, it may be very hard to ask for or to accept the help we require. If you’re dealing with this challenge, Hillendale Home Care in Northern California has some helpful advice to try:
- Introduce the older person to the care provider before care begins to initiate a relationship so that the caregiver is not regarded as a stranger.
- If the older adult is concerned about having a person he or she doesn’t know in the home, consider having a family member on hand for the first couple of visits.
- Hillendale Home Care can help with selecting a caregiver who shares likes and dislikes with the older person, such as a particular religious affiliation or pastimes. This can make the relationship with the caregiver seem more like a companionship.
- Make in-home care feel more attractive by explaining the alternate options for the senior, like moving in with a relative, moving into an assisted living facility, etc.
- Shift the focus to yourself. Let your loved one know that you know he/she is very self-sufficient, but having a caregiver in the home will help you worry less.
- Begin small with a test run. Have a caregiver come in once a week for a few hours just to take care of some light housekeeping or laundry and then build up to additional care once the senior feels more comfortable.
Hillendale Home Care of Northern California can help you work through this challenging time with your older loved one and come up with the right care plan. Whether the need is for just a couple of hours each week, full-time, live-in care, or anything in between, we can help in a number of ways, such as:
- Meal preparation
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Running errands
- Transportation and accompaniment to appointments and outings
- Personal care tasks like bathing and dressing
- Specialized care for dementia and other chronic diseases
- And a great deal more
We understand how stressful it can be when older adults feel as if they’re giving up their freedom. Contact us today to learn more about our Pleasant Hill in home care services and how our exceptional senior home care team can help you and the senior you love! Click here to view our full service area.