Life has changed dramatically for all of us since the COVID-19 pandemic began, but if you have tested positive for the virus and experienced any or all of the myriad of possible symptoms, you understand how serious it is and how difficult recovery can be.
The good news is that once you are virus-free after recovery and proper quarantine timing, Hillendale Home Care can provide compassionate in-home care services to help with the continued healing process. With adherence to CDC guidelines, our professionally-trained caregivers can help by giving you time to concentrate on resting and taking other necessary steps to regain strength. Contact Hillendale today to discuss needs and plan for a safe date when Hillendale’s caregivers can get started. In the meantime, the following tips are important to keep in mind if you are currently battling COVID-19:
- Ask about prescription options. Your physician may want to prescribe medication for more severe symptoms, such as nausea or a persistent cough. Do not wait until symptoms worsen, but talk with the doctor as soon as the need arises.
- Maximize breathing. There are a number of ways to ease breathing and help alleviate chest tightness and coughing:
- Avoid dry air; use a humidifier, or run a hot shower and breathe in the steam.
- Try lying on your stomach as opposed to your back.
- Use an inhaler if recommended by the doctor.
- Implement breathing exercises, such as:
- Breathe in deeply and hold for a count of five, and then breathe out. Repeat five times, and on the sixth time after exhaling, cough hard. Cycling through this exercise twice, followed by lying on your stomach and taking slightly deeper breaths for ten minutes, several times a day, can help.
- Pay attention to your mental health. The stress, fear, and anxiety of a COVID-19 diagnosis can wreak havoc on your emotional health, and when left unattended, can cause panic attacks, depression, as well as other serious health problems. Seek professional counseling services to effectively work through your feelings, and also incorporate any of the activities listed here:
- Listening to soothing music
- Talking with trusted relatives and friends
- Watching uplifting movies or television shows
- Know when you should seek emergency medical care. Some of the symptoms that warrant immediate medical attention are:
- Difficulty breathing
- Persistent pain and/or pressure in the chest
- New confusion or disorientation
- The inability to wake up or stay awake
- A bluish tint to your face or lips
Call 911 or the nearest E/R and tell the operator that the care is needed for someone with COVID-19.
- Know that recovery is not a linear process. Recovering from COVID-19 may feel like two steps forward and another step back on occasion. It’s not uncommon for symptoms to begin to subside and then suddenly reappear, for a fever to come and go, or for the effects associated with the virus to linger for weeks and even months.
Partnering with an experienced home care agency like Hillendale Home Care, can provide peace of mind for someone who has recovered from COVID-19. Let us assist with:
- Companionship to alleviate loneliness and isolation, helping to keep spirits up
- Preparing nutritious meals and ensuring sufficient hydration
- Maintaining a clean and sanitized home environment
- Running errands, such as picking up groceries and prescriptions
- Providing medication reminders
- Helping with personal care needs, such as taking a shower or bath, getting dressed, etc.
- And so much more
For more information concerning the ways in which Hillendale Home Care can help with continued recovery at home after COVID-19, contact us online or give us a call today at 925-933-8181 to learn more about our elder care in Pleasant Hill and the surrounding communities. We would love to discuss your needs and plan alongside your physician for a safe date for our caregivers to start providing care.