As we shared in our last blog post, home care can be a viable option for many seniors who require some extra assistance with day-to-day living but prefer to remain at home rather than move to a nursing home. Although in-home care is preferred by seniors, it still can be a bit disconcerting at first to consider allowing a caregiver to come into their personal space.
At Hillendale Home Care, we understand the trepidation that can occur when the idea of bringing a caregiver into the home is introduced, and are empathetic to seniors’ valid concerns. Following are five tips from the Family Caregiver Alliance that can help minimize objections to in-home care:
- Begin slowly – and early. Don’t wait until the care need reaches the emergency crisis stage. As soon as you begin to notice small changes in your senior loved one’s daily living abilities, gradually and gently begin to initiate a discussion about future needs and your loved one’s wishes and goals.
- Keep it calm. Pick the least stressful, most relaxed time of day to discuss the option of home care in more depth. Broaching the subject at the end of the day as you’re rushing to get dinner on the table, when everyone is hungry and tired, will probably bring about less than desired results.
- Try and try again. If your senior loved one agrees readily to the need for in-home care the first time you raise the discussion, you’re in the minority. Most seniors will resist the idea initially, but don’t give up. Shelve the topic for now, and then try again.
- Listen and offer respect. Just because your senior loved one may be ill, it doesn’t mean he or she is unable to make decisions affecting his or her care. As long as safety and health aren’t being compromised, honor his or her wishes, while continuing to touch on the subject periodically over time.
- Safety first. However, if your loved one is at risk due to health or safety concerns, enlist the aid of a medical professional to ensure that these concerns are addressed and proper care is in place.
The professional home caregiving team at Hillendale Home Care is familiar with the hesitation expressed by many seniors when the idea of home care is introduced.
We can help ease the transition by providing a free in-home visit to get to know your senior loved one, to assess his or her needs, and then to carefully match the perfect caregiver who shares similar interests, likes, and dislikes. Your loved one will soon discover the incredible bond of companionship that develops, and will look forward to his or her visits, which can include a full range of assistance, from help around the house, meal planning and preparation, to spending enjoyable time together playing games, reading, scrapbooking, gardening, or on fun outings together. The options are limitless! Contact us at 925-933-8181 to let us know more about your home care needs.