Home is where the heart is, and it’s for that reason that so many people make the choice to remain at home through their golden years. But oftentimes wheelchairs become a part of life when individuals or those with certain disabilities lose mobility. This can be a unique challenge when it comes to making sure the home is a safe place. But a few home modifications for elderly and disabled persons can greatly improve safety.
Below are just a few modifications recommended to incorporate a wheelchair into the home:
- Make sure driveways and walkways are smooth, but not slippery.
- Install a ramp to the front door that has landings at the bottom and the top.
- Doorways should be 32-36 inches wide with enough floor space near the doors to move a wheelchair.
- Thresholds on doors should be ¼ inch or less.
- Cabinet shelves should be no more than 10 inches deep.
- Kitchen stove controls must be located at the front.
- Make sure there is knee space under all sinks.
- Oven doors should be able to swing open to the side.
- For deeper shelves, install a Lazy Susan to enable the person to reach all items.
- Bathrooms should have either a wheelchair maneuverable bathtub with a 60-inch turning radius or T-turn space, or a stand-up shower that is curbless and at least 36 inches wide.
- There should be space to transfer from wheelchair to toilet.
- Walk-in closets are ideal for wheelchair-bound individuals, but a closet organizer that allows the person the ability to reach all items is also good.
Additionally, floors should be clear of clutter and furniture should be arranged for maximum maneuverability. Hillendale, providing home care assistance in Walnut Creek and the surrounding area, can also provide home modification ideas and coordination. The first step is our free in-home consultation, where we will create a personalized care plan to address the person’s particular care needs and wishes, and then we monitor that plan ongoing and modify as needs change. Our Walnut Creek home care services are available throughout Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. Contact us online or call us any time at 925-933-8181 to learn more about professional home care assistance Walnut Creek and the surrounding areas deserve.